Our History

In 2014 North Halton Golf and Country Club celebrated its 60th Anniversary. However, our history as a golf course dates back to 1914 and 1915 when J.A. Willoughby, a local entrepreneur bought two farms. Eventually these lands would become North Halton Golf & Country Club.

Willoughby hired George Cumming, the 1914 CPGA Champion to lay out a nine-hole course with the first tee being atop the hill where the present day eleventh tee sits. Legend has it that a young Stanley Thompson also was part of the design visiting from his home in Hamilton. Thompson would later go on to become one of the world’s most famous golf course designers whose works include the Toronto Golf Club, Mississauga Golf & Country Club, and a redesign of St. George’s Golf & Country Club in Toronto.

For more infomation on George Cumming, please click here.

The new golf course was called Cedar Crest. Annual dues for Cedar Crest in 1923 were $10. Cedar Crest continued as a 9-hole course up until 1954 when a group of 15 local business and professional men purchased their Club and property for the sum of $125,000. By March of 1954 this group had secured letters patent, making them a corporation under the name of North Halton Golf & Country Club.  R.F. Moote and Associates prepared the design for the expanded 18 holes.

The Willoughby mansion perched magnificently on what is today’s eleventh tee and served as North Halton’s original clubhouse.